Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year.

Today I was reminded that 2011 would be no more.

"Happy New Year," my boyfriend said. "It's 2012."

"I'm excited," I told him in honest thrill. "My kids will have more practice writing the number two!"

"Wow, you're a teacher through and through," he said with a chuckle. "When the first thing you think of is your students, you know you couldn’t quit being a teacher even if you wanted to."

I suppose he's right. If you're not convinced that I'm a teacher based on my excitement over the new year because of a number change, I have a few other ways that might persuade you:

  • I can't walk through a store without finding some product that would be perfect for an art or science project.

  • I have to take the longest route possible through stores with an art isle just so I won't spend all my money on art supplies.

  • I can't walk through a bookstore without ending up in the children's section.

  • I don’t throw away anything before considering how I might be able to use it for something as simple as counting or sorting.

  • I always have to stop and look at (and nearly always buy) a new sheet or two of stickers every time I get the chance.

  • I raid other people's houses for box-tops, recycled cans, or pop can tabs.

  • I have to literally force myself to deviate from stores like the Dollar Tree. I can spend way too much money there.

  • Walking past the dollar spot at Target I almost always purchase at least six things.

It's apparent that putting my students first both during and after school will always be a part of me. I'm not sure how I would function any other way.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Totally makes sense lol exactly how ill always remember you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I knew when you were in my 5th grade class that you would make a perfect teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I'm sure your kids love you!

    ReplyDelete