Tuesday, January 3, 2012

First Day Back.

Today was like the first day of school all over again. I could barely sleep last night due to the anticipation I was feeling for today. It was evident that everyone was looking forward to seeing their friends and sharing all the special stories that happened to them over break. Being back in the routine of things brought security and peace all around. The excitement they each had, as I expected, filled the room with enough natural energy that I didn't feel the need to "create it" out of thin air. Although I was possibly expecting rowdiness, the energy instead brought such a sweet sense of friendship and happiness. I even witnessed friendship being strengthened with compliments and smiles. "You know what?" I overheard at work time, "When I first met you I thought you were cute." It was as if they too were remembering the first day of school all over again.

Waiting for the school whistle to blow, their bright eyes and darling smiles stared into the classroom. Knowing it wasn't time to let them in quite yet, I couldn't help but wave. And just as I was opening the door to finally let them in, I could feel my eyes tearing up. Not a usual expression of emotion for me, I shocked myself with what I was feeling -- overwhelmed with love for them and pure happiness to see them. After being welcomed warmly by all, with tons of hugs and even a surprise kiss on the cheek, I can honestly say I'm sure glad to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment